Do you experience bill shock when you open your electricity bills? Read our top tips for reducing your household energy bills.
If you are experiencing higher than expected electricity or gas bills it may have something to do with your hot water usage and the running efficiency of your water heater. Below are our top tips to check your water heater is running correctly and what you can do to save a few dollars.
TIP 1 – Electric water heaters
Electric water heaters on full tariff can be expensive to run. You may be able to switch to a lower cost “off peak” tariff. Check with your energy provider or ask your electrician / installer about options available to you.
TIP 2 – Gas, solar and heat pump water heaters
High efficiency gas, solar and heat pump water heaters can be a lower running cost alternative, particularly compared to an electric water heater on continuous tariff or an older gas storage water heater. You may also be eligible for a government incentive if you’re replacing an electric water heater with one of these high efficiency water heaters.
- Is the temperature and pressure relief valve running excessively?
- For a solar water heater, check if you’re using the booster heating unit properly / too frequently?
TIP 3 – Water Usage
Are you using more hot water than you think (it’s especially easy when running a shower)? Carefully review the family’s hot water usage. Inexpensive flow control valves can be easily fitted to the shower outlets to reduce water usage.
TIP 4 – Leaks & plumbing problems
Is there a leaking hot water pipe, dripping hot water tap, etc? Even a small leak will waste a surprising quantity of hot water and electricity. Replace faulty tap washers, and have your plumber rectify any leaking pipe work.
TIP 5 – Upgrade to a more energy efficient water heater
An increase in hot water usage will result in an increase in water heater operation and perhaps it’s time to upgrade to a more energy efficient water heater that suits your household’s requirements.
Suggested further reading:
- Switch to solar and take advantage of the Government’s Small Scale Technology Certificates (STCs) »
- Which hot water heater is the cheapest to run?
- Buying a new hot water system is an investment for the future »
- Why you should switch to solar hot water »
- More wasy to save money on your hot water bills »
- Switch to solar hot water and save »
- Switch to gas hot water and save »